Wednesday 29 November 2017

OUGD601: Practical Development

Physically planning the project will be a lot of work - I will need to consider models, location, styling and photography/photographers, as well as keeping an eye on the audience and purpose of content being generated. I want the quality of production to be high, meaning a lot of interesting and varied work is needed - this will require planning shots and shoot themes so the shoot day will be most efficient. All shoot concepts need to be different and relate to some of the biggest things in 2017, as voted for by the public and the audience.

It would be interesting to have journalists (ideally BA (Hons) Fashion Journalism students) working on the copy for the editorial to enhance the concept of the publication.

How do Dazed create photographic content for their articles?


Narrowing down from the previous mind map and considering the evolution of my essay, I have selected three final ideas to pose in a feedback session to the group.

As I want this to be a piece of work portfolio worthy/produced to a high standard, I need to consider my own availability when finalising the ideas as being too ambitions could result in shoddy work. After my talk with Liv from Rough Trade, I realised that creating a Tim Walker style editorial will not be possible within my time restraints, or within my current budget- so creativity and improvisation is needed.

1) Generate fashion images using aspects fantasy & reality (signifiers & codes discussed in essay)

Take a part of reality and shoot it in a high fashion way, showing that all fashion is loosely based on real life, yet exaggerated as that is the 'nature' of fashion

Tim Walker/Richard Avedon-esq photoshoot using a range of models and locations to convey a narrative. Could be several individual photoshoots focusing on different narratives, or all sticking to the same theme just represented in different ways

2) Still Life photoshoot tackle issue of 2017 

e.g. Trump as a ham. Teresa May out of corn. Would be a lot less in terms of cost and time. Injecting humour in this would also be useful to offset the cheap/kitsch aesthetic. Could also be location or studio based.

3) Use collage/DIY techniques to create narratives addressing the biggest issues of the year (2017)

Would save time and relate to the origins of editorial design, e.g. The Face, iD Magazine. I could incorporate my own images, as well pre-existing images from Vogue through the decades, fairytale images and objects/props out of my reach.


No comments:

Post a Comment