Monday 27 March 2017

Practical Research

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/christmas-windows-9-of-the-best-from-london-and-new-york/

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/the-unseen-creates-colour-changing-responsive-accessories-for-selfridges/

http://www.retail-focus.co.uk/qanda/1094-q-a-janet-wardley-head-of-visual-display-harvey-nichols

RF. Who or what inspires you?
JW. I get ideas and inspiration from everywhere and anywhere. I’m always inspired by fashion trends and details, but also get ideas from interior design and travel. I keep boxes and boxes of images that I find inspiring and I like to look through these to help develop my ideas. I am not into sourcing images online and prefer to use my old magazine tear outs.
RF. What are your thoughts on digital technology in display?
JW. Generally, I find digital technology a little cold and unfriendly. I feel it is used more as a PR exercise than an actual display. Having said that, there are some interesting ideas around, but it is still very expensive and not always that visual. If used as part of a large scheme to give added detail it can work, but when it is the main feature it can lack the emotional response a more creative display can give.
RF. What advice would you give to small, independent retailers who don’t have large budgets?
JW. You don’t need a large budget to create effective displays. The most important thing is that whatever you create presents the store in a style that fits the brand. When working on a design it is important you think about the space you have to work in, how your displays are viewed and by whom. The budget at Harvey Nichols is surprisingly small and mostly we work with easily obtainable materials. It is the idea, the skills of the builders and dressers, and keeping true to the idea that makes a scheme work.

No comments:

Post a Comment