Monday 25 April 2016

OUGD401// Final Roomae Brand Guidelines

Roomae records was founded on the premise that music and popular culture heavily influenced the art movement, advertising culture and subsequent graphic design. Despite Roomae being fictional it has a corporate identity, values and standards based on postmodern ideologies explored within the essay. 

I attempted a heavily composed publication to add an unusual dimension, highlighting the abstract and explorative styles covered by the likes of David Carlson. In some cases type has been distorted and rearranged conveying the 'form follows function' rule fuelling Graphic Design. My intentions for this were to inspire the ascetics of postmodernism in the modern world, fitting into modern music conventions for unusual reasons. I tried to maintain a fluid colour system, implementing the guidelines I was creating as I went.




"This book contains the brand guidelines, justification and terms of use for Roomae Records.
Roomae are a UK Based record label, founded in Leeds 2016, dedicated to bringing the underdogs and unsigned
acts to public attention, whilst aiding local events. We plan to grow but keep to our roots. 
Appearance may change, genre focus may change yet we will not loose our
ethics or the spirit of music."


Chosen Typefaces and reasoning.



Final Roomae logo chosen after careful development. Half of the 'Roomae' logotype has been removed suggesting submersion into the song, alongside creating a larger distance between the bottom of the circle and x-height of the text. The circle, created of several thin lines is to suggest a record being spun, thus avoiding the need of the word 'record', adding a curious ambiguity to the brand. I opted for K22 Didoni Swash, inspired by Benguiait Caslon- a popular 1960's typeface. I came to this conclusion after the critique, asking which typefaces from the previous set were most appropriate to pursue. As the large Roomae logo is quite detailed and can only be reduced to minimum 75x36, to fit into modern conventions I also created a smaller logo, simply suggesting the presence of Roomae. This is intended for small scale marketing purposes as stated above, ideally on Album Covers/Gig Tickets etc.






Consistent Grid system for positioning work, page layouts. By incorporating modernist techniques I am achieving a consistent positioning easily manipulatable, further reiterating my essay point that modernism and postmodernism essentially have to go hand in hand. 

Spacial awareness and mock ups.


Finalised colour scheme inspired by the Pantone colours of the 1960's. I opted for this era as my essay explores Warhol and the freedom filled culture of the day to essentially kickstart postmodernism. I tried to incorporate aspects of the colour scheme throughout all practical work where appropriate, using a soft but vivid pallet in many forms of marketing or mock ups.


Two forms of marketing showing the use of the Roomae logotype in its correct setting. The left is a poster created for the band Waterfall, based and preforming locally in Leeds- highlighting Roomae's intentions. The glitched effect was created through decoding of the image, essentially removing the 'artistic integrity' decomplying to the clean conventions set forth. I felt glitch art was the most appropriate way to showcase Postmodernism through its deconstructive nature, breaking down what the core of the piece is, yet incorporating modern (digital) processes. 


Exploring formal uses of the logo and logotype, including a mock-up album cover, Business cards and letter heads.




Putting together the book //



Final Images //

Unfortunately due to scheduling issues I was unable to book a photography studio shot and professionally shoot the images, something I plan to work on in future briefs. As a compromise, I was unsure of how to photograph and display my book relating slightly to postmodernism. In Pulp 'Common People', a song influenced by Postmodernism and rebellion they speak of "wood chip on the walls", influencing my product shots and further enhancing the subliminal music connotations.


Flat out view of the book, scaled 250x250mm. I opted for a square scale to differ from other books and brand guidelines I have researched or seen, generally opting for either a A4 or A5 scale. Despite using the laser cutter for cropping the pages, my bookbinding skills are still in progress and the alignment of pages, alongside the stitch is not perfect. If I could reprint I would also be more persistent on a stock choice as currently it feels far too flimsy, not fulfilling my intentions. Unfortunately the stock that I intended (150gsm Matte off white) was not available at the time of print, prompting me to opt for the Matte White 130gsm paper to allow the pages to turn easier. Looking back this was a bad design decision as the quality has been severely reduced, alongside evident creasing in the spine. 

Inside view of stitching. I tried to be subtle and use a white embroidery thread, adding a harsh contrast on the black exterior. The delicate-ness of the thread also contrasts the brutality of the books exterior, yet could perhaps be sewn tighter/thicker thread used to avoid it possibly coming apart. 



Showing Roomae Brand Guidelines compared to other Graphic Design publications. The contextual flow works well in this sequence, showing both modernist and postmodernist design styles. 


Experimenting with a postmodern collage to showcase my final practical piece


Evaluation //

I am happy with outcome seen as I placed myself under unnecessary time constraints. As time progressed I focused more on other modules whilst finalising my concept and idea. After feedback from a group I concluded on all necessary design aspects to cover, including type decisions and interactive design (posters etc). Due to the experimental style Postmodernism brings, I wanted to keep a layer of functionality making it fit for purpose in todays society. I felt by creating a set of brand guidelines (other than an album cover/gig poster,) fitted better into common modern branding, something I feel I need to work on in the future. I am happy with my progress through the course of the project, exploring the visual ascetics and ideologies behind the era and experimentation changing throughout the way. Prior to printing I intended to create a traditional final set of guidelines (as shown), complemented by a glitched version which is virtually unreadable. As my essay explored postmodern doing the opposite and often bizarre I felt this could be portrayed as an anti-guideline protest, suggesting a defiance to conventions and visually complying to the brands ethics. Unfortunately after printing the first copy and working out the costing, it wasn't worth producing a second tangible copy to introduce a 21t century digital quality- further relating to the essay question of Graphic Design "practice" being for the purpose of communication. Unfortunately the glitches version was not producible, yet this has taught me to give myself longer for producing and printing the outcome, allowing further time for changes and print adjustments.

Despite being happy with the brand guidelines I created, I feel I could of pushed this brief further in an experimental style by incorporating more hand rendered methods and unusual techniques.
In a critique I received a piece of advice being "forget everything you have learn't on this course", something I tried to keep in the front of my mind yet found it hard to over come. It was a huge challenge stepping out of my own mind to create something not 'following the rules' we have been taught as Graphic Design students, especially whilst evolving my own style through concurrent Studio Briefs. If I could re-do the practical accompaniment, I would experiment with paint,
scan-ography and possibly refining a promotional campaign for a band similar to Waterfall. Furthermore, I am disappointed with the level of research conducted throughout the practical and academic brief. Despite having the intentions of creating a 21st Century record label styled and based on postmodernism, I feel due to the lack of specific research this has not been communicated as well as it could have been, similarly to some of the points within my essay. I definitely regret not doing more specific formal research and analysing of postmodern music specifically, not just observing rock/punk and Hip Hop, but other acts (both old and new), such as The Lovely Eggs and Dusty Springfield. In the future I will defiantly bare this in mind, blogging as I go and taking a more analytical eye to research conducted- not just blogging about a limited selection of artists/theorists.

With regards to the final book of brand guidelines I am happy with the digital outcome, yet disappointed with the print quality. Due to print technicalities I was unable to produce it to the technical standards I had in mind i the design process, alongside not considering the binding method as well as I could have. I had to opt for a lesser-quality paper quality, causing a heavy crease contrasting against the black down the spine- suggesting a unprofessional and unrefined look.
As Zines initially became popular within postmodern culture a copper staple may have been a more effective binding method than a thin stitch. Despite this, the production of this book has excelled my interest with the InDesign package, alongside editorial design and bookmaking in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment