Tuesday 12 April 2016

OUGD401// Practical 03

Exploring popular typefaces from the postmodernist era. I feel by incorporating subtitles of the past, this will further perpetuate the visual ascetic of postmodernism, allowing the project to relate to anybody reading it. 

After receiving feedback from a group on which typefaces were most appropriate, it was made clear through discussion and debating that no one typeface could personify Postmodernism. The incorporation of a decorative typeface and a legible San-Serif limits the experimental quality possible. By having three or even four typefaces to work with, Roomae can mould themselves best the situation and effectively communicate in slightly stranger ways, breaking the form follows function rule.
1960's inspiration and experimentation. As my initial research looks at artists such as David Carlson, Andy Warhol and Barbra Kruger, it is essential to showcase a commonality through my work, subtly channeling them. As colour was such a strong part of the time, I felt by instilling a striking colour contrast would be most appropriate. My essay looks at the importance of the 1960's socially and artistically, making it the kickstarter of postmodernism and thus my current form of inspiration.





Initial experimentation with type, colour combinations and layout. 

 Book Designing //

Experimenting with presenting brand guidelines. As I have done very little branding in comparison with others on the course, I felt by creating a set of brand guidelines I could refine my skills further in a corporate practice sense alongside executing a well composed final outcome. I have decided to create a book rather than a poster, purely to showcase all the variables needed in the most informative way possible. I intend to hand bind the book, following on from Bookbinding workshops applicable for other modules. With regards to binding method I am currently unsure, yet feel the use of a hand stitch/experimental stitch pattern would be more effective than perfect bound to achieve a hand rendered tactile quality, alongside highlighting the DIY style researched.

Pinterest board exploring ways of presenting brand guidelines and concurrent branding. 

Book development //

Further allowing me to pursue my personal interest in editorial design, I used InDesign highlighting the use of digital in graphic design practice.


Important area's to explore


By flipping some text and creating a more interesting composition. I wanted to achieve a confusing layout, playing with the viewers knowing of design structure and prior knowledge of navigating through a publication. As I was unsure of the appropriateness I obtained further feedback in a group critique, prompting 7/10 people to tilt their head or turn the computer screen in some way- resulting in the interaction I wanted to achieve through something as simple as type alteration. In a group we concluded this obscurity was appropriate and something to continue throughout.

Signing 'A' for Roomae (ae), adding an ambiguous undertone. The positioning of the letterform is very intense, suggesting an ominous presence complemented by the slightly gothic structure of the letter.


Implementing a scribble to divide negative space and bring the focus to a more abstract level. When considering what would be best I thought back to my essay, realising that postmodernism does not have to be justified. With this in mind, I created a random expression of emotion in the form of a scribble, highlighting the boundaries abilities of being broken.




So far I feel the project is coming along well, yet feel more research is needed into practical postmodernist work, created in the 21st century. I explored I.D in my magazine and feel a collage style would be appropriate so I will look into creating a hand rendered/drawn element, highlighting the ascetic of mixed media. This is a very challenging project for me as it is still hard for me to grasp postmodernism's ascetic, as it was essentially created as a rebellion to the rules of modernism- a style I was unsure to get right as I am still very new to the subject and design in general. 

Logo Development //







Further experimentation with logo possibilities, both in icon and logotype form. I personally feel more attracted to a logotype, incorporating a 1960's inspired typography to instantly suggest postmodernism without any contextual explanation. In a second critique I presented these logo options, alongside questions on what was the best avenue to go down- it was clear the suggestion of the record by the circular illustration was popular, therefore an avenue of exploration. To keep a consistent theme I feel differing from K22 Didoni Swash between logo's would be inconsistent and unconsidered, a point raised in a critique debate.

Critique Feedback

No comments:

Post a Comment